Friday, September 11, 2009

Humbling experience

Today started off rough already. Both kids have been intolerable. The sounds of bickering were filling all of the rooms in the house. And, of course, they had their mommy ear plugs in, so neither child heard my cautioning words.

This, if you can imagine, made me quite angry. I was irritated to the point that every minuscule thing aggravated me. I could tell it was going to be a l-o-n-g day.

I decided to brew a pot of decaf and nurse my "wounds" so to speak. After prepping the coffee maker, I stepped away for a few. When I returned to the kitchen, the entire floor was COVERED in coffee. The counters were soaked, the walls were splattered. In my haste, I forgot to put the coffee pot in place. Having an older coffee maker, that didn't stop anything from brewing!

OI! I wanted to get mad at someone, but it was my fault! Quickly, I felt all my rage melt away, and I just had to shake my head. My son saw the mess and lovingly stayed patient with me as I cleaned up the place. In fact, he found the mop quite fascinating. He never paid attention to me mopping before, and didn't understand how the coffee got out of the mop.

Now, I feel much better, oddly enough! I know God used my "oops" this morning to humble me a bit.

Now, let's see if I can get through the rest of the day without starting any fires.

1 comment:

Anna Russell said...

Way to go Shannon! I'm sorry for the mess, but proud on the way you handled yourself. We should all take lessons from you.